Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Mission and Goals
The Hugh and Hazel Darling Library serves the information and research needs of the Hope International University community by providing access to information resources and developing information literacy for lifelong learning.
The Library’s continuing priorities:
- To provide information and
resources able to satisfy the needs of the university community by:
developing and maintaining collections of resource materials, in various
media; and developing and maintaining capabilities for providing resources
and information from beyond the collections of the library
- To support audiovisual and other
media equipment needs of educational programs of the university.
- To provide physical facilities
appropriate for adequate housing of resource materials, for support
offices and workrooms, and for other services provided by the library.
- To promote the use of resource
materials and services by the university community.
- To promote “information
competence” in all students, so that as graduates they are skilled in
retrieving information for most of their needs, and committed to life-long
refinement of their information access skills.
- To provide a competent and
professional staff, serving the mission of the library and the university.
- To provide clear, comprehensive
means of access for use of resource collections, promoting quick and easy
retrieval of materials.
- To provide reference, literature
searching, database retrieval, and research services to satisfy the needs
of the university community.
- To selectively disseminate
information from available sources, to teaching faculty and
- To maintain an archival function
for the university by collection of appropriate materials, and
preservation of selected historical materials.
- To enhance the learning
environment of the university by providing an atmosphere which stimulates
Information Literacy Standards & Guidelines
Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA) promulgates standards and guidelines to help libraries, academic institutions, and accrediting agencies understand the components of an excellent library.
The goals of library information literacy instruction are to assist students to:
- Determine the nature and extent of the information needed
- Access needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into his or her knowledge base
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understand the use of information and access and use information ethically and legally